Friday, March 30, 2012

Delta cuts some Vegas routes, adds 2nd bag charge

I was surfing over on an airline forum and apparently there are some changes coming over at Delta Air Lines. On June 1, they are discontinuing all service between Ft Lauderdale (FLL) and Las Vegas. Four days later on the 5th, Boston and Orlando will lose their non-stops to Vegas as well. If there are some TA members out there with confirmed reservations beyond those dates, I recommend you contact them ASAP to see how they plan on re-routing you. I%26#39;m pretty sure you can ask for a full refund if it is unacceptable to you.

Also, effective May 1st, they will join United and US Airways in charging their non-premium travelers $25 for checking a second bag on domestic flights.

Allegiant, AirTran and US Airways all have previously announced cutbacks at Vegas this year, which will undoubtedly put upward pressure on air fares. The reason given is that it is a primarily leisure market with relatively few business travelers who usually pay a premium for last-minute travel. As I mentioned in Sister Dino%26#39;s thread, it looks to be a bad summer to find decent air fares.

Start looking NOW!

Delta cuts some Vegas routes, adds 2nd bag charge

Good helpful info Strip. Miss you and your knowledge on the forum. I saw on the news Delta was laying off too. 300 I think, but memory escapes me.

We need Nuclear planes....

Delta cuts some Vegas routes, adds 2nd bag charge

Airfare to Vegas is getting bad and with all these cuts I see it getting worse. I actually paid $300pp out of Detroit for a nonstop on USAir for April that we paid $200pp for our Feb trip, same flight.

If it was not for comped or cheap rooms I would have to cut back on my trips.


We%26#39;re being routed through Atlanta on our FLL- LAS Delta flight ( an airport I find very tough to enjoy), but it sure was nice whenever we could get a direct flight! Constantly getting harder to find decent fares from this market- it%26#39;s almost as cheap to go Lauderdale- London on the new Zoom airline service ( $500 rt) that is atarting in May. We%26#39;re paying $329 fro thsi flight we booked ages ago- lately everyone has been charging at least $400 and SWA wants over $600- well except maybe Spirit , but I am just not willing to give them my business.


I%26#39;m already seeing the price difference from yesterday to today. Hopefully, they will be forced to lower the prices if the seats are unsold.


I have seen a drastic increase from yesterday also. I am going to Vegas in June and I can now kick myself for not buying a couple of days ago. My thought was they can%26#39;t fly empty planes so the price will have to come down around April. But alas the flight I was looking at was a Delta flight. And now with the additional cost of a second bag, I guess my second bag will be a carry-on. I am sure everyone else will be doing the same thing. I can see the cabin of the plane now!

I have to go to Vegas in June so I guess I will be playing the gamble game and checking flight costs daily.

Thanks for letting us know about Delta. I only heard they were laying off, did not have a clue they were stopping certain flights.


Strip Cruiser, thank you!

All of my flights are cancelled. I am currently rescheduling.


I have a question. What will happen to tourism in Las Vegas if the airlines cut flights there or even worse, charge an arm and a leg for the flights?

Vegas could lose alot of money...

Any thoughts?


I booked 2 - round trip tickets from Columbus to Las Vegas non-stop flights both ways through Southwest Airlines directly through the web site. I booked them about 3 weeks ago and the total was $477 including tax

Now i check and the same 2 tickets are priced at $649 ... wow i%26#39;m glad i booked ahead of time


Yup, it seems that oil has finally reached the point where it%26#39;s really having an affect on the bottom line of the airlines. Many are cutting less-profitable routes, retiring older planes and laying people off or offering early retirement. Add to that the growing trend of charging for things that used to be ';included,'; like checked luggage and snacks/beverages and you can tell the airlines are hurting, big time. Vegas flights are just not as profitable as flights to major business centers so they%26#39;re easier targets for cuts. Southwest is slowly winning the battle at McCarran as they%26#39;ve already forced US Airways out of the Salt Lake %26amp; Denver markets with more probably to come.


'; mmlacy '; i%26#39;m sure the tourist places are already seeing a decline in some business. What all this inflation does is stop the lower and middle incomed families from being able to take trips like these. If the prices keep rising you%26#39;ll soon just see wealthy people taking trips and no-one else will be able to afford to.

Also you%26#39;ll probably see places like Vegas doing what they have to to get people to come such as lowering hotel prices and offering more specials to encourage business.

I know if it wasn%26#39;t for a nice tax refund this year i wouldn%26#39;t be taking a trip in June .. i%26#39;m actually worried what%26#39;s going to happen between now and then with the gas prices rising and the economy in such bad shape.

I hope Southwest continues flying out of Columbus since i already have my tickets bought.

I know why they are starting to charge for extra bags checked-in, it%26#39;s there way to make up for rising fuel costs. I watched on CNN and they was talking about it, some airlines are charging $50 for a second bag. They also said alot of airlines are starting to no longer offer any free snacks during the flight but instead offer them at a price and the flight attendants are encouraged to sell expensive drinks.

  • Name for a new kitten
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment